World Food Day at Rwebitaba ZARDI
H.E Yoweri K. Museveni the president of the Republic of Uganda visiting the NaSARRI stall at the World Food Day (WFD) Celebrations 2015 at Rwebitaba ZARDI one of the NARO Institutes in Fortportal District.
The Program Contributes to increased cotton production through development of high yielding varieties with better fibre qualities.
Generate and disseminate technologies appropriate for cotton production in Uganda.
1. Develop cotton varieties with long fibres, tolerant to drought, insect pests and wilt diseases.
2. Identify effective soil management options that enhance cotton yield.
3. Identify effective management options for bollworms, lygus bugs and stainers and wilts in cotton production systems.
1. Suitable combination of foliar &granule fertilizers identified: basal application of Bio-potassium and Bio-Phosphate (25kg/ha), then top dress with Urea (100kg/ha) at flowering and spray with megacole at 60 days from planting (BioPg+BioKg+Urea+Meg).
2. Subterranean application of Tithonia diversifolia (1.6-2.0 tons/ha) increases yield (2436.3kg/ha) compared to 1469.7 kg/ha(control).
3.Effective pesticides against bollworms, stainers and lygus bugs have been identified: Aster Extreme, Amdoc, Nimbicide &Agrolambacin applied at a rate of 300ml/ha.
4.Two effective seed dressing chemicals (Maxim and Nordox) against wilt diseases (reduced incidence to <6%) have been identified .
5.Two high yielding cotton lines with better fibre qualities have been identified.
The dry land cereal programe conducts research in millets (finger and pearl millets) and sorghum. Read More...
The dry land cereal programme conducts research on Cowpea and Greengram Read More...
The Oilcrops program conducts research on (Groundnuts, Simsim and Sunflower). Read More...
Copyright © 2016 - All Rights Reserved - nasarri.go.ug